The City of Banning Electric Utility provides electric service to approximately 11,900 accounts covering an area of approximately 22 square miles. Originally established in 1913 as a private utility, the City of Banning purchased the Utility in 1922 and has been providing electric service to its residents since that time. Banning's energy resource base includes portions of coal, nuclear, and hydro generating plants, that provide the majority of electricity required to meet its summer peak demand of 48 MW.
The City supports clean-energy and is committed to additional renewable energy resources to its already diverse portfolio. The Utility met the renewable energy requirement of Compliance Period #1 through energy produced from two geothermal generating facilities located in the Imperial Valley. In addition, the Utility executed two Power Sales Agreements for energy from Solar and Landfill Gas facilities, which will put the Utility at 77 percent renewable by 2018, far exceeding the current State mandate of 50 percent by 2030. The Utility is dedicated to continue providing quality service to its customers in a safe and reliable manner, at reasonable rates.
Chart portrays the number of SCPPA projects Banning participates in
TraditionalPalo VerdeSan Juan Unit 3TransmissionMead-AdelantoMead-PhoenixHydroHooverGeothermalOrmat Heber SouthOrmat Gould 2